Tuesday, July 9, 2013

An Abstract on Patience

The process of parenthood has become a great test of patience for Dr. Reid and myself. As I sit "waiting" on Lt. Reid I've been evaluating the following Phases of patience thus far:

Phase 1 - "Hey, you should have a baby." 
As I mentioned in my previous post, our initial journey to the great adventure of parenthood started January 2010 (3 years, 5 months, 25 days before Lt.'s Birth Day). The hardest part of this phase was not knowing what we could do. There was "nothing wrong" and everything was "normal," so we worked on developing patience and enjoyed the phase we were in. At the time I didn't realize that this would be signs of things to come. 

Phase 2 - "Hey, I'm going to make you wait 9 months."
Phase 2 started in October 2012 when we found out Lt. Reid would be joining our family. While we waited the expected 9 months, we dreamed of June 16th to come. While everyone warned us not to get too focused on the "due date", we couldn't help it and planned our lives around that date. Having a date to focus on helped this phase go by pretty quick in hindsight.  

Phase 3 - "Just kidding suckers, wait 9 more days!"
Being overdue sucks! Not because I was uncomfortable, not because I couldn't sleep, not because I had to pee every time I re-positioned (those things were somewhat welcomed as I found them signs the end was near), but because after about day 5 I had positively convinced myself I was going to be pregnant forever.  
Jokes started to arise that Lt. Reid was going to test our patience as parents, and he would decide what time schedule he would follow. 

Phase 4 - "Hospitals are cool, let's chill here for a bit."
The jokes stopped being funny by Phase 4, as we realized Lt. Reid really was going to call all the shots. In a matter of minutes, he had completely wrapped the lives of six grown adults around his adorable pinky, and we (Dr. Reid, Mrs. Reid and respective parents) focused our attention on whatever he needed. 
And that brings us to where I am right now -- sitting in the NICU of a quaint Level 3 Neonatal Hospital, two weeks after Lt. Reid joined our family.... and we wait. We wait for Lt. Reid to eat, we wait for the lesson we are supposed to learn, we wait for the great day I can be sitting in my bed cuddled up next to Dr. and Lt. Reid, and we wait for Phase 5 when Lt. Reid will test our patience once again. ...  


No comments:

Post a Comment